Saturday, June 5, 2010

Granola Bar Goodness


These little guys are my new rave.
When I tried them yesterday, I wasn't all that impressed.
I think the flavours need to sit together overnight.

Anyhow I found this recipe online and now see why they are so popular (I've eaten three in the past 15mins...next time I double the batch!)
I didn't follow the recipe exactly as I didn't have all ingredients on hand
So I put in what I had:

Homemade Granola bars

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup coconut

1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 chocolate chips
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup canola oil (suggested sub of apple sauce which I will try next time!)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 baking pan.

2. In large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, sunflower seeds, coconut, cinnamon, flour, walnuts, chocolate chips and salt. Make a well in the centre, pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the pan.

3. Bake for about 30 minutes, but watch the baking time. If you leave them in too long they’ll be dry. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars or squares. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting or they will be too hard to cut.

Let sit overnight and enjoy the next day :D

No comments: