Thursday, February 17, 2011

Creamy Celery and Fennel Soup

I made this for dins tonight and licked my bowl clean...with a baguette that is ;D
So here is the bowl lickin recipe {adapted from Chateline}:

  • 2 cups sliced celery, about 4 stalks
  • 2 cups sliced fennel, about half a bulb
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup barley {original recipe calls for 1/3 cup long-grain rice, but I was riced out}
  • 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

Combine celery, fennel, 2 cups broth, 2 cups water, rice, tarragon ans salt in a large saucepan. Set over med-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer, covered, stirring occassionally, until celery is tender, about 25 mins.

Ladle soup into a food processor {I used my blender as I don't have a food processor...yet}. Whirl until smooth. Return soup to saucepan and set over med heat. Stir in milk and lemon juice and continue cooking til heated through {about 3mins}.

It recommends you serve w a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill, but I didn't have any of those things...so I just toasted some baguette and ate it with that instead ;D

enjoy! i know i sure did!

No comments: