Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Great I Am

I think God's character just baffles me beyond belief! So 2 weeks ago the organization I am involved in Campus for Christ had a large outreach called "Life after Death". Basically it was a panel in which there was a Christian, Buddhist and Muslim speaker and they all spoke on what they believe happens to the soul after death.

I had the opportunity after the event to speak with a girl of the Muslim faith and share my testimony and the gospel with her (yay!). After I shared the gospel with her, she was so shocked! No one ever told her what Jesus did!(really reminds me of Romans 10:14). She then asked me for my contact information so that we could meet on a regular basis to discuss Christianity more.

Sounds like a pretty good way to start a week (I thought so too!). As the week progressed I got into a really cycnical mood. I started getting frustrated at how ppl were not receptive at all to the gospel how ppl were throwing His name aorund and how ppl were being led astray. I really cried out to God saying "When God, when will you stand for your name? and when will satan stop being such a jerk and causing all this division in the body" I was so peeved! And really questioning why I am supposed to be doing this.

That Saturday I opened my Bible and God really spoke to me in Genesis. I was in Genesis 17 at that time. He spoke specifically to me in verse 8, and it says:

The whole land of Cannan , where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession
to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.

Did you catch the last part of that verse? Money will not be their god, nor will anything else of this age, but He will!

God spoke to me directly about Queen's. He said "Amanda, Queen's is yours and don't you worry your little heart, for I will be their God". First of all, God knew exaclty how I needed to hear that. I needed comfort. I needed someone to speak to me in a way only God could and He did.

I think the more I read this verse I sit in awe of God's amazingness. Words just can't describe how I have experienced His comfort/justice/mercy all at once! I am brought to tears everytime I think about it. I am in complete awe of the character of God. What puts me in awe is His undeserving grace that saves, His butt kicking justice that is still so comforting in the sense that He will show Himself as a jealous God (not sure if that makes sense, but words cannot describe who God has shown Himself to be), His mercy, oh my goodness how it overwhelms me! I think I could write a book on the character of God and maybe I will someday to encourage others through my life, but for now the blog will do!

He is great in power and I am really seeing that in my own life. I have never seen this side of God before and I honestly have this image of me with huge eyes in shock and being knocked over b/c of His awesomeness!

Jeremiah 23:29 says "Is not my word like fire," declares the Lord, "and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?

Soooo good, just sooooo good! The character of God; no words can describe. I think I sat here for 15 mins pondering what to call this blog, b/c I could not think of one name to sum it all up. The name I have given it will have to do and that's cool b/c God knows what I think of Him right now.

3 comments:

Jess Versteeg said...

i love that verse in jeremiah. so strong.

Unknown said...

I know eh, after you read it today in the car, it just sunk into my heart and I have been meditating on it all day.

Rhonda said...

Great post Amanda. I like the changes to your blog too.